27 November 2013
PRIMATE PRIDE DAY –
With great pleasure we celebrated the Primate Pride Day, as a latinoamerican initiative proposed by the web Sindioses since 2010. 24th of November was chosen as the date in which we remember the 154th anniversary of the official release of “On the Origin of the Species” and the 39th anniversary of the discovery of Lucy, the Australopithecus: two landmarks that not only changed our view of the world but gave way to a thought revolution that continues to our days, both admired and criticized.
The Asociación de Ateos y Agnósticos del Atlántico (and the Fundación Bacanería Planetaria) decided to organize an event this Saturday 23th with a divulgation conference showing the pride we feel about our evolutive origins, looking to share the facts with the general public and state our disagreement with the creacionist explanations that wish to belittle the scientific view, trying to put themselves at the same level.
Our celebration was a pleasant afternoon in which we reflected about our nature and place in society through the talks of Juan Torres Castellar (The evidence of evolution), Luis Felipe Zapata (Homosexuality: A evolutionist and psychobiologic view) and Jorge Senior (Science, Religion and Democracy), to whom we are grateful for sharing their knowledge with us. We also gave away some prizes and ate some bananas at coffee break!
See you again next year!
- Malala Yousafzai: One Girl, One Idea
- After Pussy Riot: Russia strengthens anti-blasphemy laws
- Syrian rebels execute an atheist boy
- The Church of Anti-Vaccination
- Witchcraft Accusation Rages in Northern Ghana
- Are atheists more helpful than Christians?
- Secular World 13 - Of Mice and Mayhem
- Except...there is no heaven
- Pakistani Freethinkers to UN: recognise Int'l Day Against State Religion
- Iran is one of seven nations...
- AAI President Carlos A. Diaz shows his support for Imad Iddine Habib on International Imad Day!