21 July 2012
The Enfield Board of Education in Connecticut, USA announced on July 18 it will no longer hold graduation ceremonies at First Cathedral Church in nearby Bloomfield, Connecticut, after a federal judge granted an injunction against holding the ceremony at the church in May, 2010.
Public high schools in the district had hosted graduations at the site for many years, according to an American Civil Liberties news release. The ceremony at the church took place near a stained glass cross and beneath banners reading "Jesus Christ is Lord" and "I am God," according to the ACLU release.
"Attending graduation meant going to church," the ACLU stated in the release.
- Moving Forward
- What Would You Substitute For the Bible as a Moral Guide?
- Alexander Aan update
- What Is The Soul
- Witchcraft in Malawi - new report released
- Brazil deems abortion of anencephalic fetuses legal
- Am I an Atheist or an Agnostic
- PATAS, A Spark of Reason in the Philippines
- Rabbi's little helper
- Apostasy Campaign in Chile
- 17 GLBTI Gambians Imprisoned
- Atheist faces three counts in court