28 May 2012
Originally published by Sahara Reporters.
Today around the globe too many atrocities are being committed with impunity in the name of god, allah and other constructs, which have over the ages, identified or associated with the so called supreme being. The dream of a secular peaceful world where people of all faiths and none can coexist in harmony- continues to elude many across the region. Millions of people- theists and atheists- continue to suffer and are abused due to superstition, religious fundamentalism and supernaturalism. In this piece I will focus on two of such areas.
The rights of non-believers. I have heard it proclaimed at the UN that the rights of women are human rights. I have also heard it proclaimed that the rights of gay people are human rights. These proclamations changed the way human rights are perceived around the globe. Personally I have yet to hear it proclaimed at UN, or at our regional and national human rights bodies that the rights of atheists, agnostics and freethinkers are human rights. I do not want these rights to be implied or assumed as currently the case in most countries. I want them to be expressly declared as universal human rights.
In spite of the progress the world has made in terms of upholding human rights and liberties, and getting states to honour their obligations under various instruments and mechanisms, equal rights have yet to be extended to religious non-believers in most parts of the world particularly in Africa.
The full article is available here: http://saharareporters.com/article/atheism-and-human-rights-abuses-africa-leo-igwe.
- Teachers, Be Not Afraid
- Vatican continues to try to limit access to IVF, promotes a “natural alternative”
- New addition to the Freethought Audio Library - Ingersoll's Centennial Oration
- Religion and Government, Gambian Context
- First National Atheist Meeting in Brazil
- Alexander Aan update
- How religion poisons Brazilian politics
- Taslima Nasrin attacks 'cancer' of censorship in Indian society
- How Orthodox Judaism Treats Women as "Filthy Little Things"
- Polish Pop Star Fined for Insulting Bible
- Critical Thinking and Educational Reform
- Indonesian Muslims Call for Atheist Beheading