23 September 2012
Recently, Atheist Alliance International was contacted by an atheist in an Islamic country. He had made a video criticising his government's position on human rights and posted it online. We received this email from him today and publish it with his permission, with identifying information redacted, to illustrate just one more example of the threat to freedom of expression and thought posed by Islamists.
Hi, I have previously contacted you and submitted a video on [redacted] government and its human rights violation. Unfortunately, after much pressure from my family and the prospect of my getting a heart attack because of my Atheism, I have decided to pull the video down. I have to close down all of my email and twitter account and Atheist Nexus account as well. I just wanted to apologize to you because I would have continue leaving the video up but the pressure is so much that I have succumbed. The lesson that I have learn is, Muslims will never tolerate Atheism, Atheist, Apostate even basic human rights - freedom of faith. I guess I really have no choice but to remain hidden and under the radar and just let my rights taken away from me. It is hard, especially when I am feeling all alone and I don't even have any real friends here in [redacted]. My family still hoping that I will repent and become a Muslim again but after our heated debate on human rights and Atheism, I don't think I will ever look at Islam the same way again. I apologize again for the trouble I have caused.
Obviously, it is not this man who should be apologising.
- "Without this I feel alone" - Alex Aan
- American Baseball Team Goes Atheist for an Evening
- Woman Sentenced to Death by Stoning for Adultery in Sudan
- School Vouchers v. Establishment Clause
- (Technical) victory in Court, failure in Parliament
- Religious circumcision an assault on boys
- He Needs Money
- Five Cities that Ruled the World – in flames
- Chaplaincy in Australian Public Schools
- War of Words on Gay Rights in China
- South Korea Surrenders to Creationist Demands
- Join the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain’s 5th Anniversary Celebration