19 October 2012
Brendan Maher launched first ever information stall about secularism, humanism and atheism in Ireland on 6 October 2012 in Dublin's city centre. Brendan says:
"The purpose of this initiative is to furnish information on secularism, humanism and atheism to the person in the street.
This idea began about two and a half years ago when I noticed that there were about two or three street preachers in the vicinity of the GPO. Since then the number has grown to about nine. There are a range of different Christian groups and a few Islamic and Hari Krishna people. I felt that there had to be an alternative view given, a rational, ethical, scientific and realistic view of things.
Although we live in the era of the computer there are still many people who live their lives without reference to the computer. A stall like this and the personal approach can be quite effective. I do not see it as proselytising but as an information exercise to help raise awareness with regards to secularism, humanism and atheism.
Because of the success of this first event I plan to have the stall at the GPO on the first Saturday of each month from 12 to 2 pm. Perhaps this could be done in other cities in the country.
- Michael Shermer in Brazil
- Kuwaiti man receives 10 years in prison for tweets while the Parliament of Kuwait mulls the death penalty for blasphemy
- Pussy Riot women guilty of hooliganism, will serve two years
- Indian Missionaries Target Brazil's Amerindians
- Thank you eBay Giving Works donors!
- Hands of Putin and Orthodox Church pulling strings in Pussy Riot arrests
- The Crime of Debunking in Delhi, India
- Women raped, tortured and hanged to save son of Imam in Iran, may have been innocent
- ACLU decision means schools must hold graduations in non-denominational locations
- "Without this I feel alone" - Alex Aan
- American Baseball Team Goes Atheist for an Evening
- Woman Sentenced to Death by Stoning for Adultery in Sudan