Stand Up For Reason Campaign
We Are Not Witches!
Every year, Thousands of vulnerable children and elders are attacked and driven out of their homes or killed each year by family and neighbors who have been told they are "witches".
According to National Post, a Pakistani man accused of plotting a suicide bombing in Toronto's financial district because he thought killing Canadians was his "path to heaven" has been deported, several sources confirmed Thursday.
Jahanzeb Malik left Montreal airport escorted by Canada Border Services Agency officers. Meanwhile, a second Pakistani man also deemed a danger to security, Mohammed Aqeeq Ansari, was deported from Toronto.
The CBSA declined to comment but Malik's lawyer, Anser Farooq, confirmed his client had departed Canada. Ansari's parents were summoned to a location near Toronto airport late Wednesday to see him off, a friend said.
The removals followed weeks of diplomacy between Canada and Pakistan, which was reluctant to take the men back. The deportations were delayed for almost three months amid a flurry of meetings between the two countries.
The Pakistani High Commission in Ottawa said Friday both men had arrived in Pakistan. "They're not in custody as far as I know," said Nazia Khalid, the Press Counsellor.
While both men were permanent residents of Canada, they lost that status when the Immigration and Refugee Board ruled they had been involved in terrorism and posed a danger to Canadian security.
A Toronto flooring installer, Malik arrived in Canada in 2004 to study at York University. After arrests for fraud and threatening his wife, he left for Libya. He said he was teaching in Benghazi but authorities suspect he was training with an al-Qaida faction.
According to the RCMP, Malik told an undercover officer he supported the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant and wanted to detonate a car bomb in Toronto. He had mentioned the United States consulate as a possible target.
Ansari was arrested days after last October's terrorist attacks in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu and Ottawa. He was stripped of his permanent resident status in May after the IRB ruled he was a member of the terrorist group Sipah-e-Sahaba Pakistan.
He denied the allegation.
Police seized a cache of weapons and ammunition from the Peterborough, Ont. basement where he was living in 2012. He maintained he merely collected them as a hobby but the IRB questioned "whether there was an underlying plan given that he also spent a fair amount of time at the gun range practicing his shot."
Isis planning 'nuclear holocaust' to wipe hundreds of millions from face of the earth', claims reporter who embedded with the extremists
According to Daily Mail, Islamic terrorists Isis want to wipe the west off the face of the earth with a nuclear holocaust according to a journalist who spent ten days with the group while researching a book.
The terror group allowed Jürgen Todenhöfer to embed with the group because he has been a high-profile critic of US policy in the Middle East.
The German journalist claimed the terror group wants to launch a 'nuclear tsunami' against the west and anyone else that opposes their plans for an Islamic caliphate.
The 75-year-old former German MP wrote up his findings in a new book 'Inside IS - Ten Days In The Islamic State'.
He said that upon his arrival in ISIS controlled territory, that he and his son were forced to hand over their mobile phones to their hosts.
He said he spent several months talking to the terror organisation over Skype before he was allowed to travel into their area.
According to RNS, Homosexuality was such a combustible topic at the World Meeting of Families, a four-day Catholic gathering under way here, that it was doused twice.
First, Philadelphia Archbishop Charles Chaput earlier this month barred LGBT Catholics from holding a workshop at a Catholic parish near the event. It moved to a local United Methodist Church instead and is operating simultaneously, but with vastly smaller numbers than the 17,000 people on hand for the main event at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.
Then, just as the single session on homosexuality at this Vatican-approved meeting of Catholic families was to begin on Thursday afternoon (Sept. 24), a conference official took the stage in the main hall, capable of seating at least 10,000, and announced the location had been moved.
By NICOLE WINFIELD / Associated Press
ABOARD THE PAPAL PLANE (AP) - Pope Francis has defended his words of consolation to U.S. bishops over the priest sex abuse scandal but says - for the first time - that those who covered up for abusers are guilty of wrongdoing.
In a wide-ranging press conference en route to Rome from his first-ever visit to the United States, Francis also declared conscientious objection a "human right," explained his admiration for American nuns and discussed his own star power, which was fully on display during his six-day, three-city tour.
He also invented a new Italian word to describe the exuberant reception he received in New York City: "stralimitata" - roughly, "beyond all limits."
On his last day in the U.S., Francis on Sunday met with five survivors of sexual abuse and issued a warning to bishops that they would be held accountable if they failed to protect their flocks.
"Those who covered this up are guilty," he said. "There are even some bishops who covered this up. It's something horrible."
According to The Guardian, at least 717 people have been crushed to death in a stampede outside Mecca and more than 850 injured in the deadliest disaster on the annual hajj pilgrimage in a quarter of a century.
Panic broke out when two groups of pilgrims preparing for one of the last major rites of their trip collided at the intersection of two narrow streets. Within minutes the tarmac was a macabre jumble of dishevelled, partially clothed bodies.
The disaster revived questions about Saudi Arabia's ability to manage the world's largest annual migration, and the tragedy turned political as officials and diplomats began trading recriminations even before rescue operations had wound up.
The Saudi monarch, King Salman, ordered a review of the kingdom's plans for the hajj after the disaster. Speaking in a live speech broadcast by Saudi-owned al-Arabiya television, he also said he had asked for a swift investigation into what he described as a painful incident.
By Jenny Cosgrave / Yahoo Finance
As Pope Francis arrives in the U.S. for a six-day visit , Catholic churches across the country have high hopes that his stopover will reinvigorate and offer fresh inspiration and spiritual guidance to their congregations.
But when it comes to the church's approach to receiving donations, its failure to adapt to easy online and mobile payment options means it is missing out on billions of dollars and suffering a "30-year dramatic downward slide," experts warn.
Some parishes, which still encourage members to give by cash and check, are missing out on hundreds of thousands of dollars every year said Patrick Coleman, CEO of online giving platform, GiveCentral, which has a client base that is 80 percent Catholic churches.
"We see that between check givers and online givers the average amount of giving over an entire year period is 35 percent more than those that give via cheque and about 90 percent more that give via cash," he told CNBC.
BY KAYA OAKES / RELIGION DISPATCHES
It doesn't take more than a glance at the recent Reuters report to see that the American Catholic church doesn't just have a crisis in the rising number of former Catholics. Unsurprisingly, those same Catholics took their money when they walked. The resulting closures of multiple parishes and a drain on the retirement fund for priests have added to the $3 billion cost of the clergy sex abuse scandal, leaving the American church with a massive money problem and shrinking numbers of parishioners on the eve of Pope Francis' arrival.
A recent study by Nicholas Bottan and Ricardo Perez-Trugila in the Journal of Public Economicsrevealed that, unsurprisingly, "a scandal causes a persistent decline in the local Catholic affiliation and church attendance."
By Charles Topher - Church and State (website challenging religious privilege in public life)
Bishop Robert Cunningham of the diocese of Syracuse, NY doesn't think priests should take all of the blame for decades, if not centuries, of sexual abuse against young boys. According to Cunningham, the "age of reason" in the Catholic church is seven, so those boys are culpable for their actions.
The shocking statement came during testimony that was recently released from a deposition for a federal lawsuit. Charles Bailey, a survivor of a priest's abuse, asked then-Bishop James Moynihan whether the church held children victims partly responsible for sexual abuse from priests . "(Bishop) Moynihan said that right to my face – 'The age of reason is 7, so if you're at least 7 you're culpable for your actions.' That kind of floored me," said Bailey.
Obviously, the sentiment isn't something one Bishop believes, but a broader excuse used to cover for the guilt of sexual predators.
- About AAI
- Regional Reports
- Muslim Apostasy Report
- Australia/New Zealand
- Brasil ⤤
- Восточная Европа
- Deutsch ⤤
- East & Southeast Asia
- Eastern Europe (en)
- ελληνικά ⤤
- दक्षिण मध्य एशिया
- Hrvatska ⤤
- Middle East (en)
- الشرق الأوسط
- Subsaharan Africa
- South-Central Asia (en)
- North America
- Western Europe
- Arts Reviews
- End Blasphemy Laws News Feed
- Secular World
- Support AAI
- Members Area